The Basics to Natural Bathroom Cleaning
How to Clean and Disinfect Your Bathroom Naturally
A bathroom is where you get clean, whether you’re a diehard bath person or a regular shower user, so it makes sense that this room should be a clean place, doesn’t it? Unfortunately conventional bathroom cleaners can contain a whole host of chemicals that are bad for you and for the planet, including: ammonia, 1,4-dioxane, methanol (known as methyl alcohol), hydrochloric acid (chlorine bleach), sodium hydroxide (lye or caustic soda), monoethanolamine (MEA), as well as ammonium quaternary compounds. So if you want to clean-up in a clean bathroom, follow our environmentally friendly bathroom cleaning tips and tricks from homemade bathroom cleaners to which natural cleaners we recommend you purchase.
Disinfect and clean with natural homemade bathroom cleaners
Bathrooms may seem like the dirtiest places in the home, but believe it or not, there are many natural kitchen ingredients you can use to clean and disinfect every surface without the toxins found in regular store brand bathroom cleaners. Here are our recommendations for creating home remedies for a greener bathroom:
- Mix up some homemade cleaning products like all purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, tile cleaners, drain cleaners, and toilet bowl cleaners.
- Wash your towels and washcloths in your own homemade natural laundry soap and fabric softener.
- Make your own rags out of old T-shirts and other clothing.
Seek out natural bathroom cleaners
If you don’t relish the idea of mixing and stirring up your own natural homemade bathroom cleaners, then go for off the shelf options that are made without scary chemicals found in conventional cleaning products:
- All purpose cleaners from companies like Ecover, Shaklee, Seventh Generation, Sun & Earth, Method, Mrs. Meyer’s, biokleen
- Choose eco-friendly glass and mirror cleaners from these brands: biokleen, Seventh Generation, Sun & Earth, Natural Choices, Method, Ecover
- Look for nontoxic toilet bowl cleaners such as Ecover, Seventh Generation, Mrs. Meyer’s, Method, Natural Choices
- Freshen and scrub the shower with these eco-friendly options: Mrs. Meyer’s, Method, Ecover, Sun & Earth, Seventh Generation, Natural Choices, Shaklee
- Natural disinfecting products like those from Natural Choices, Seventh Generation, Method, Ecover, Shaklee, Mrs. Meyer’s
- Opt for eco-friendly paper towels and mops over non-green toilet brushes, paper towels, and floor cleaners.
Green Seal certifies eco-friendly products including some that may work in the bathroom. And don’t forget to consider the animals by opting for vegan products that haven’t been tested on animals - looking for the Leaping Bunny Logo or the Certified Vegan Logo to be sure that you’ve got a cruelty-free product.