Introduction to Natural Kitchen Cleaning
Eco-friendly Ways to a Naturally Clean Your Kitchen
Of all the places in your home, the kitchen should be the room where you pay the most attention to developing an eco-friendly environment. After all, having cleaning chemicals on the same surfaces where you prepare food (things like organic solvents, benzene, morpholine, or butyl cellosolve (which also goes by ethylene glycol, butyl glycol, or monobutyl), monoethanolamine (MEA), as well as ammonium quaternary compounds, kerosene, organic solvents, amyl acetate, and cresol) increases your chances that those toxins will end up in your body. Using natural kitchen cleaners and developing eco-friendly cleansing techniques is just one way to protect your family and lead a more environmentally friendly life.
Cleaning the kitchen with natural, homemade cleaning products
A nontoxic kitchen is easy to create when you use cleaning products and tools that are made from natural, safe ingredients and eco-friendly materials. Whether you’re scrubbing out the microwave, degreasing the stovetop, or removing grime from the oven, these homemade cleaning recipes and green cleaning tools will make it much easier to craft your kitchen safe and green:
- Make your own rags out of old T-shirts and other clothing.
- Wash dishes using efficient hand washing or automatic dishwasher techniques and natural dish soap or dishwashing liquid. Read more with our How to Naturally Clean Dishes article.
- Formulate homemade cleaning products like all purpose cleaners, oven cleaners, drain cleaners, coffee maker cleaner, and bleach alternatives.
- Combat stains like red wine stains and grease stains with homemade natural stain removal recipes.
Buying natural kitchen cleaners
Not a DIY cleaning product type of person? Then try out these natural kitchen cleaning products for every area of the kitchen:
- Choose eco-friendly paper towels and green mops.
- Eco-friendly oven cleaners like those from Shaklee.
- All purpose cleaners from companies like Natural Choices, biokleen, Mrs. Meyer’s, Method, Sun & Earth, Shaklee, Ecover, or Seventh Generation.
You may also find some good Green Seal cleaning products that will do the trick. And as always, find vegan products that haven’t been tested on animals by looking for the Leaping Bunny Logo or the Certified Vegan Logo to be sure that you’ve got a cruelty-free product.