Dog Ear Infection Home Remedy
How to Make a Homemade Pet Ear Infection Remedy
Dogs and cats can get ear infections just like humans. You may notice signs of an ear infection, like head shaking and ear scratching, an odor or secretion (brown) from the ears, heat or redness. Although it is always advisable to take your pet to a qualified vet to find out the best course of treatment, if an ear infection is the problem, you can often clear it up naturally with this simple dog ear infection home remedy solution:
- Combine witch hazel (this is better than alcohol as it will not burn and cause more pain) and organic apple cider vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. Shake well.
- Take your pet outdoors or into a room where a little splatter (from head shaking) won’t matter.
- Fill an ear syringe bottle or a syringe without a needle with the solution and gently squeeze 2 ounces worth of the solution into your pet’s ear (less for small pets). Avoid contact with your pet’s eyes or genitals as it can irritate them, and be sure not to force the syringe deep into the ear canal as you may cause injury.
- Rub your pet’s ear for about 15 seconds (if possible) to distribute the contents.
- Allow the pet to shake their head to release excess liquid.
- Repeat twice per day for a week or two until the infection clears.
- Use once every month for ear health maintenance.
Natural pet ear infection treatments
If you’re a bit squeamish about mixing up your own ear infection remedy, why not try one of these natural alternatives:
Cautions for treating pet ear infections
- It is always best to consult a qualified veterinary care center before attempting your own treatments.
- Be very careful not to insert anything deep into your pet’s ear, including the syringe, as this can cause injury.
- If your pet has any blood in the ear or canal, definitely do not use this treatment - seek professional medical help instead.